To add your email account to the latest version of Microsoft Outlook first click on the File menu and then on Account Settings -> Account Settings. If you’re using the Mac version, the menu will be in Outlook -> Preferences -> Accounts.
To begin, click on the New button on the new window that opens.
A new window will appear named Add Account. On it select the Manual Setup or additional server types option and click Next. Then on the next step select POP or IMAP and click Next.
Next you need to fill in the appropriate information about your email account. Here’s a brief explanation on the different fields and what you should add in them:
- Your Name: provide your name in this field;
- E-mail address: type in your email address – firstname.lastname@example.org for example;
- Account Type: select whether you want to use the IMAP or the POP3 protocol. We recommend that you use the IMAP protocol since it keeps your emails on the server and it’s harder to lose information;
- Incoming mail server: the server for incoming mails should be the mail subdomain of your domain name – mail.yourdomain.com for example;
- Outgoing mail server: again, use mail.yourdomain.com as you entered for the incoming server;
- User name: the username is your full email address. It will be used for both incoming and outgoing connections;
- Password: enter the password for your email account;
Once you fill in each field/checkbox, click on the Next button to proceed.
A new window should appear named Test Account Settings in which you can follow how Outlook verifies the information you have provided.